Wednesday 21 October 2015

NaNoWriMo

I have decided to unofficially participate in NaNoWriMo this year.
I have always meant to but could never get my shit together in time and always missed certain key days, but this year I am jumping in. And I say unofficially because I won't be signing up for their website, I will just track my progress on here and possibly facebook to see how I do. And I will have to track my progress differently then word count, because I do my writing on my smart phone and it's not the same as putting pen to paper or typing on a computer.

I'll be participating with my current WIP that is unrelated to The Afflicted series. As Book 2 of The Afflicted is at the editor and making its way to publication I have been spending my time with something new before I return to my first draft of Book 3 and start working. There are certain threads I need to connect before I can get going with a new draft and I am hoping that once I see how certain aspects of Book 2 are received I can start to connect those threads. I am super excited for you all to read Book 2.....it's really coming! Sooner then you might think.

NaNoWriMo may also be a good time for me to take a look at Blueprint Your Bestseller by Stuart Horowitz, which is sitting right at the top of my TBR pile. I'm not sure if I mentioned that it's a method that JK Rowling uses and, frankly, the Harry Potter novels are some of the best plotted novels I have ever read and if I'm going to plot in such a fashion I might as well learn from the master, right? (I have always been a pantser, for the most part, but with novels involving history it makes things a bit tricky so I need a new method)

I am excited, actually. As I have mentioned, this new WIP has opened some interesting pathways in my mind that I didn't expect to find and I like where they are taking me.
Hopefully doing NaNoWriMo will take it that extra mile and turn it into something real.

No comments:

Post a Comment